Pages

Monday, January 27, 2014

Too Young With Too Many Dreams


In my opinion, it’s completely unrealistic to ask 18 year olds to decide whatever it is that they want to do for the rest of their lives.

And then people criticize them for changing their major an average of six times.

Adults who are 60 years old tell me that they still don’t know what they want to do.

If this is the case, why are we rushed to go to college if making a decision is unrealistic?

Why is it frowned upon to take time off to decide?

Why also is it frowned upon to not go to college? Some of the smartest and most successful people I know had no formal education.

I apologize for all the questions, but as I’m watching $250,000 go towards my education at Syracuse University, I contemplate whether or not I made the right decision.

I don’t think that we as students should be forced to grow up and make a decision while in high school. I think kids should be encouraged to follow their dreams. Maybe some will go right to college. I knew that college was really my only option since I’m not good with my hands and have no real skills to pursue. I figured if I got an education it would get me somewhere. I’m being educated to write since my degree is journalism. Nonetheless, in four years I’ll have a piece of paper that basically says I’m a really good writer and maybe I’ll have a job.

I don’t think people should be discouraged if they go to college and things don’t work out for them. Everyday I question whether I’m doing the right thing or not by going to college. Literally everyday I change my mind of what I want to do. Someone may ask me in the morning what my future plans are and by the time lunch rolls around they could ask me again and my answer could have done a 180.
Humans are naturally indecisive, and teenagers are probably the worst. We want to please our parents, our teachers, and are naturally competitive with friends and want to prove we can go to a good school and make something of ourselves.
If I ever have kids someday I’m going to leave it up to them. If they tell me they want to go to the military I’m not going to stop them. If they say they want to take the money that we’ve saved for their college education and instead try to start some business, if I believe they can do it and have the drive to I’ll let them. If my child wants to go to college, I’ll encourage them to go. Everyone is different and not everyone fits the college mold. I think society should stop forcing it upon us that a formal education is necessary to survive. It might be a good thing to have, but necessary is a little extreme. It’s a judgment call.

It also really bothers me when people look down on others who don’t have a degree. Why is it their concern?

My dad tells me all the time he wishes he had continued to go to school and get his master’s and law degrees. I know my dad is smarter than so many people who have law degrees and all sorts of other degrees. I sometimes think that those extra pieces of paper are just ego boosters and bragging rights.


I hope one-day society realizes that it’s unfair to try to lump everyone into the college life. Let people make their own decisions. Maybe some should be in college and just need the encouragement to get there, but if someone is happy doing whatever it is they’re doing then let them be. They’ll make it work.

No comments:

Post a Comment