Pages

Monday, April 28, 2014

Find Your Escape


            Stress.

            It sucks.

            Is there anything more I really need to add?

            It’s the things that keeps you up late at night or the thoughts that wake you up at odd times from what wasn’t a very sound sleep anyway. It’s what makes you eat a lot of junk food or maybe nothing at all. It causes breakouts, perhaps even rashes. You may gain a lot of weight or lose a significant amount instead. Everybody is effected by stress in a different way.

            I wrote this blog in parts because I was so stressed (and because I was supposed to be studying for finals). I felt in order to capture the true essence of what stress is and how it makes a person feel I might as well be experiencing it at some point while writing though.

            Stress is a normal occurrence in life, especially in the upbeat society that we live in today.  I could go on and on about what it is in medical terms but I think everyone has experienced it before and doesn’t want to think about it anymore than necessary.

            Instead, I’m going to dedicate this blog to coping with stress.

            Now there are a million and one different ways to deal with it. Simply googling “how to cope with stress” I returned tons of answers, and some of those ways are fine and dandy. But everyone has something they can “get lost in”, that makes stress melt away. I’m going to put some of my psychology classes to use right now and share with you a bit of information that I actually learned this semester. That optimal feeling is called flow. It’s becoming one with whatever you’re doing and it is a concept that was invented by the humanistic researcher Csikszentmihalyi. It’s becoming so engaged in whatever you’re doing that there is a sense of effortless and perfection. For me, that engagement comes with a trip to the barn. I can be in the worst mood ever, have tons of projects due, papers to write, tests to study for, and everything else that comes along with being 19, in college, and having a job on top of that, but the minute I slip my boots on and step foot in the stable, it’s like I’m being transferred to a different world. My problems don’t seem to exist at the barn. It’s like time stands still and allows me to rejuvenate and when I step back into reality and the real world, everything is that much easier to handle. 

            Everyone has a different haven. I know my mom’s is when she walks into her studio and tackles whatever crafty project she’s currently working on. For some people it’s the gym, for others just a walk through the woods. Some people though don’t even have to go anywhere. Instead they just pick up an instrument or a book or blast some music and dance around and get lost in what they’re doing. It’s those wonderful moments of doing what you love and looking at the clock realizing time has passed.

            Take a power nap. A nap may be the last thing on your mind because you don’t have time, but a half hour can do miracles. You’ll be reenergized and ready to tackle anything. Or maybe take a bubble bath. The soothing feeling along with some good smelling suds will clear your mind for a little bit. Go to the pet store or play with your own pet. Sometimes just a little bundle of joy with a wagging tail can calm you down and make you smile.

            And honestly? If all else fails, cry. One of the things that will make you feel a lot better is simply a good cry. Just sit there and cry. Let it all out and move on.

            I encourage you to figure out what your get away from life is. When things start to get stressful go to that place where you can relax and get your life back together. Things will get better. Maybe not right away, but they will eventually. Find your happy place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment