Pages

Monday, December 9, 2013

The Rules to Get a "Yes"



            For some reason the other day I wasted 27 minutes watching a guy propose to his girlfriend on YouTube. It just so happened that today the video of the guy who proposed to his Chicago Luvabulls girlfriend was floating on my timeline so I made my friend watch it with me. She proceeded to cry about how beautiful it was that a guy would go to that extent and put in that much effort to show his love for his girlfriend by asking such a simple question. I then continued to search YouTube and watch these incredible and sometimes outrageous proposals. Why? You got me, but it made me wonder how I want a guy to pop the question to me.

            It seems a lot of my friends and people close to me have been getting engaged lately and I’m just sitting here writing this blog and keeping my fingers crossed that I’ll have someone to kiss under the mistletoe or to ring in the new year with. (But trust me, an engagement is LAST on my list right now so don’t think I’m hinting at something!)

            To top it off I saw Disney princess engagement rings on Twitter the other day and fell madly in love. In the event that I actually do meet a guy someday, will someone direct him to those rings? I would absolutely melt if he opened the little box and it was a princess ring!


            Anyway, I have rules for when a guy is ready to spend the rest of my life with me. These are “rules” that most girls would agree with, so fellas, use this as a standard checklist. And again, if I ever find a serious boyfriend someone needs to show him this list so he knows the drill.


            First, ask for my parents’ blessing. I can’t stress this enough! I will never forget the time I witnessed a guy propose to his girlfriend at Outback Steakhouse (classy, I know) and she called her parents to tell them the news. From the next booth over I could hear her parents screaming that he never asked their permission. His reply was that they didn’t return his phone call. Don’t be this idiot! Man up and make sure you get the okay.

            Second, make sure it’s a complete surprise. I don’t want to have the slightest suspicion that you’re going to ask me. But don’t make it so obvious and out of the blue that I know it’s coming. Don’t do anything that’s going to give it away and don’t drop hints.

            Third, pick a good spot and plan it well. People for the rest of our lives are going to ask two things, how we met and where we got engaged. You don’t need to go to the ends to the earth and ask on top of the Eiffel Tower or on a safari. Just make sure it’s somewhere that’s, “us”.  Maybe it could be where our first date was, or how we met, somewhere special we’ve gone? This is your job to find the absolute perfect place that captures our relationship perfectly! (hint hint, can’t go wrong with a Steelers game or over a candlelit dinner you’ve prepared – just saying!)

            Fourth, prove to me that chivalry isn’t dead. Be old-fashioned and get down on one knee (and a cheesy line about how much you love me wouldn’t hurt).

            Fifth, use my full name.

            Finally, please catch it all on camera. If you have someone video record it that would be awesome, but I want pictures. I want to see my reaction and what everything around me looks like. I never want to forget that moment so make sure there are cameras or people hidden in every corner to capture the moment.

I don’t think I’m too picky or demanding now am I?

Don’t be afraid to ask for help! If you haven’t met my best friends then chances are that it’s not time to ask me to marry you yet. They know what I love and would be more than willing to help you set it up and execute it exactly how they’d know I want it.


Now, just to find the right guy…..the time will come, eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment